Food Waste Program
A family of 2 has on average 7 pounds of food waste a week. By taking that food waste out of the landfill and turning it into valuable soil amendment that can be used by City of Temple residents, we can slowly extend the life of the landfill, reduce methane emissions by about 3,009 pounds a year, create rich soil amendment to save money for home and community gardens, as well as flower beds that feed pollinators. By cleaning out the fridge and tossing the scraps in a food waste bin, you are creating a better Temple for today, tomorrow, and years to come.
How It Works
Step 1: Stop at the Solid Waste Complex (2611 E. Ave H Building A) and grab a food waste bin.
- You can come to pick up a bin during regular business hours (Monday – Friday from 8AM - 4PM) from the Scale Window (make your first entrance through the gate, window is on your right).
- Supplies are limited.
- Must be a Temple resident to receive a bin. Non-residents can still drop off food waste but will not be provided with a bin. A City of Temple bin is not required for food waste to be dropped off, any food waste in a container will be accepted.
Step 2: Fill the bin at home from the list of “What Goes In”. Make sure to avoid “What Stays Out”.
- The bins are designed to be under the sink (they can be installed on a cabinet door) or sit on a countertop.
- Pro Tip: If you are not fast at filling the bin or cannot get it to Solid Waste right away to empty it, storing it in a freezer will keep anything from starting to smell. We will accept frozen food waste.
Step 3: Return to the Solid Waste Complex with the full container and a City of Temple employee will take the bin and dump it for you.
- Drive to the scale window for assistance (make your first entrance through the gate, window is on your right). You will be asked to for your address for data collection purposes only.
- Deposit your food waste in the brown bin located at the scale (food waste only, no plastic bags).
- If you can not drop off M-F 8AM-4PM, drop-offs will be accepted on Saturdays at the Recycle Drop-off Center, 602 Jack Baskin Drive (on the corner of E. Ave H and S. 31st St.) from 9AM - 4PM.
Bins are emptied into a food waste cart. The carts are emptied nightly into a compost bin that will make valuable soil amendment. Starting in September, on a first come first serve basis, soil amendment will be available at no cost, as a resource for your garden, flower beds, and house plants. Amendment will be limited to no more than 2 gallons per household.
You can pick up soil amendment at the Solid Waste Department Monday - Friday, 8AM - 5PM, or on Saturdays, 9AM - 4PM, at 602 Jack Baskin Drive (On the corner of E. Ave H and S. 31st St). Bring your own container for the transport of the amendment, a container will not be provided.
What Goes In
All food scraps and food-soiled paper.
- Meat and Bones
- Fish and Shellfish
- Grains and Pasta
- Dairy Products
- Eggs and Shells
- Plate Scrapings
- Food Soiled Paper (paper bags, napkins, paper towels)
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Coffee Filters, Coffee Grounds, and Tea Bags
- Tissue Papers
What Stays Out
- No Plastic (even if biodegradable or compostable)
- No Coffee Cups
- No Metal, Rubber, or Glass
- No Diapers or Baby Wipes
- No Pet Waste or Kitty Litter
- No Paper materials
- No Corrugated Boxes
- No Curries/Daal, Sambar/Rassam
- No Plants and Flowers
- No Untreated Wood Scrap