Current Grant Opportunities
Grants for Landlords
RENTAL REINVESTMENT PROGRAM
The City of Temple is committed to improving the quality of life in Temple’s neighborhoods by increasing access to affordable housing. Through the implementation of the Rental Reinvestment Grant program, property owners who meet certain eligibility criteria are given the opportunity to make significant improvements to their rental properties to pass a Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) inspection. Once repairs and inspection are completed, the property will then be added to the list of properties pre-qualified to accept Housing Choice Vouchers.
Incentive grants are available on property located within a Neighborhood Planning District or Low-to-Moderate Income (LMI) neighborhood as defined by HUD. The grants are provided as reimbursements, as a match to the funds disbursed by the Applicant. Only the Applicant’s cash disbursements may be used as a grant match, in-kind contributions may not be used as part of the Applicant’s match.
Grants for Homeowners
HOMEOWNER ASSISTANCE & RECONSTRUCTION PROGRAM (HARP) GRANT INFORMATION
The City of Temple is currently accepting applications for the HARP Grant. The purpose of this program is to provide homeowners with reconstruction of substandard housing owned and occupied by extremely low, very low, and low-income City of Temple households. The program will help correct problems which pose an immediate threat to the health and safety of the occupants while providing decent, safe and sanitary housing to enhance existing older neighborhoods within the City. The program will ensure that the home meets or exceeds the current local and state property maintenance codes, as required by the level of renovation.
HARP Grant Requirements
Key program requirements include:
- Home/property is located within the corporate city limits of Temple
- The owner of record must be the occupant of the home
- The owner must have occupied the home for the last one (1) year as their primary residence
- Clear title to the property
- Participants must be at least 18 years old and of legal capacity to execute a contract between the homeowner and the contractor for all work required
- The property owner may not owe the City for past property code violations
- Property taxes must be current or on a payment plan
- Homeowner’s insurance is required upon project completion at full replacement value
- The amount of total household income must fall below the 80% of the City of Temple’s Area Median Family Income
WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS AT THIS TIME.
Program administered by the City of Temple through the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs HOME Program.
COVID-19 UTILITY & MORTGAGE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The City of Temple is receiving a special allocation to the Community Development Block Grant funds to be used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The purpose of this fund is to help city residents who are enduring financial hardship and are unable to make their regular rental, utilities, and/or mortgage payments due to COVID-19. The grant will be for up to three (3) months to aid and alleviate the housing burden for low-income households that have lost employment income as the result to the pandemic. The assistance amount will depend on household needs.
- COVID-19 Assistance Program will pay missed rent, mortgage, and/or utilities from COVID-19 related loss of wages. Rent, utilities, and/or mortgage arrearages prior to March 31, 2020 are not eligible.
- Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only completed applications that include all required attachments will be reviewed for eligibility. Therefore, it is very important to submit a COMPLETE application package as soon as possible.
- Payments will be made directly to landlords, mortgage companies, and utility companies.
- Property owners/landlords must agree to participate in the program.
- Landlords/property owners cannot be part of household.
- Applicants who are receiving assistance from another federally funded grant program are not eligible for an emergency payment through the COVID-19 program. This includes, but not limited to, other CARES Act programs and Section 8 assistance.
HOUSING IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
The Housing Improvement Program’s (HIP) primary purpose is identify issues which may pose a threat to the health and safety of the home’s occupants and to provide repairs for those issues. Recipients must be of low- and moderate-income (LMI) City of Temple homeowners.
Funding for HIP is provided through the use of the City's General Fund by Community Enhancement Grant recipients, as well as by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) through the federally funded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). Citizens for Progress serves as a subrecipient for these CDBG funds, while Habitat for Humanity and Zoe's Wings Foundation are Community Enhancement Grant recipients. These organizations will administer the HIP. The program’s goal is to preserve existing housing owned and occupied by low- and moderate-income Temple households and to revitalize existing older neighborhoods within the city.
Homeowners interested in participating in the program must complete a full application and provide copies of documents necessary to determine household and dwelling eligibility. The HIP assists households who earn less than 80% of the area median income for the Killeen/Temple/Fort Hood area. Eligibility for the program will be based on current and anticipated annual income of all persons occupying the home.
Other eligibility requirements:
- Applicant must own the home and be current on all property taxes. Payment plans are acceptable, if proof is provided.
- Cosmetic repairs will not be allowed. Only high priority repairs will be eligible.
- Repair cost cannot exceed 50% of the assessed value of the home.
- Applicant must not owe the City of Temple any outstanding fees.
- Other restrictions may apply.
Grants for Nonprofits
There are not any opportunities available at this time.
Grants for Tenants/Renters
There are not any opportunities available at this time.