Is your home in need of repair? We may be able to help.
The Housing Improvement Program’s (HIP) primary purpose is identify issues which may pose a threat to the health and safety of the home’s occupants and to provide repairs for those issues. Recipients must be of low- and moderate-income (LMI) City of Temple homeowners.
Funding for HIP is provided through the use of the City's General Fund by Community Enhancement Grant recipients, as well as by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) through the federally funded Community Development Block Grant (CDBG). Citizens for Progress serves as a subrecipient for these CDBG funds, while Habitat for Humanity and Zoe's Wings Foundation are Community Enhancement Grant recipients. These organizations will administer the HIP. The program’s goal is to preserve existing housing owned and occupied by low- and moderate-income Temple households and to revitalize existing older neighborhoods within the city.
Homeowners interested in participating in the program must complete a full application and provide copies of documents necessary to determine household and dwelling eligibility. Click Here to access the online application. The HIP assists households who earn less than 80% of the area median income for the Killeen/Temple/Fort Hood area. Eligibility for the program will be based on current and anticipated annual income of all persons occupying the home.
Other eligibility requirements:
- Applicant must own the home and be current on all property taxes. Payment plans are acceptable, if proof is provided.
- Owner of record must be the occupant of the home and must have occupied the home for the last one (1) year as their primary residence.
- Cosmetic repairs will not be allowed. Only high priority repairs will be eligible.
- Repair cost cannot exceed 50% of the assessed value of the home.
- Applicant must not owe the City of Temple any outstanding fees.
- Other restrictions may apply.
Please call the Housing Resource Center at 254-298-5999 for additional assistance or to check the status of your application.