Retirement Program (Temple Firefighter's Relief & Retirement Fund)
City of Temple firefighters are required to participate in the Temple Firefighter's Relief & Retirement fund. This plan takes the place of Social Security withholding. A firefighter may retire at age 50 with at least 20 years of credited service.
- Employee contributes 16% of gross earnings on a tax-deferred basis
- City of Temple matches 1 to 1 (16%) upon retirement
- Governed by the Texas Local Fire Fighter's Retirement Act
Employees may elect to participate in the supplemental 457 retirement program in addition to their Firefighter's Relief and Retirement fund. Contributions to the 457 are tax deferred and are not to exceed the annual maximum rate.
Insurance elections are effective 30 days from the date of hire for all benefits with the exception of Life Insurance. Life Insurance is effective 30 days from date of hire, to the first of the next month.
The City of Temple offers a fully insured medical plan offering employee and dependent coverage. The plan year runs October 1 – September 30. Elections are made annually during Open Enrollment and may be made throughout the plan year with a qualifying event.
If you decline the medical insurance and show proof of current coverage in another plan, the City of Temple offers an Insurance Credit option.
- $100 per month included in the paycheck
- $125 per month deposited into the 457 plan
The City of Temple offers a fully insured dental plan offering employee and dependent coverage. The plan year runs October 1 – September 30. Elections are made annually during Open Enrollment and may be made throughout the plan year with a qualifying event.
Supplemental Worksite Benefits
The City offers supplemental worksite benefits through a contracted vendor. The plans include but are not limited to:
- Critical Illness
- Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
The City of Temple provides long term disability to the employee at no cost. The benefit is paid at 60% of the monthly salary after 180 consecutive days.
Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment
The City of Temple provides a Life Insurance policy and an AD&D policy to the employee at no cost of 1x their annual salary. Supplemental Life and AD&D policies may be purchased by the employee for themselves and their dependents.
Flexible Spending Accounts
The City of Temple offers Flexible Spending Accounts for eligible expenses and dependent care expenses.
Types of Leave
The City of Temple Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual provides for military, jury/court, funeral, and injury leave.
Vacation (working a 2912 schedule)
- Less than 10 years of service accrue 7.5 vacation + 6.5 holiday = 14.5 days per year
- 10-14 years of service accrue 9 vacation + 6.5 holiday = 16 days per year
- 15 and more years of service accrue 10 vacation + 6.5 holiday = 17 days per year
Maximum accrual of vacation is 2 years.
Sick Leave (working a 2912 schedule)
Firefighters accrue 7.5 hours of sick leave, 24 times per year, regardless of the number of years employed with the City of Temple. There is no maximum accrual amount and sick leave will be paid out, not to exceed 1,080 hours upon separation from service.
As an added benefit, all full-time employees hired on or after September 12, 2014, are eligible to receive Longevity Pay for each consecutive year of active service from their date of employment, after they have been employed for five consecutive years. The maximum amount an employee may receive is $225 per month.
Education Incentive Pay
Firefighters are eligible to receive education incentive pay for credited college hours with a grade of C- or better.
- $40 per month with 40 college hours
- $60 per month with 60 college hours
- $100 per month with 120 college hours
Firefighters are eligible to receive certification pay for the following Fire certifications:
- $50 per month for Intermediate
- $50 per month for Special Operations
- $90 per month for Advanced
- $125 per month for Masters
- $200 per month for Marshal
- $200 per month for Training Officer
- $250 per month for Training Captain
- $325 per month for Training Batt Chief
- $90 per month for EMT Grade I
- $100 per month for EMT Grade II
- $397.46 per month for Paramedic
Uniforms & Cleaning Allowance
All uniforms are furnished by the Fire Department and certified personnel are allotted a $20 per month uniform cleaning allowance.
Disclaimer: This summary is provided for your convenience, but is not to be considered a substitution for existing polices or regulations governing the City of Temples' practices. Where there is a discrepancy between this summary and the City of Temples' policies, ordinances, or resolutions, the applicable policy or resolution shall prevail.