Downtown Parklet Program

A yearly Parklet permit is required from the City of Temple in order for restaurant or bar operators to place outdoor dining and seating on the street or sidewalk or a Mobile Food Unit (MFU) in a parking space on the street in the Central Area (CA) downtown.

Operators may apply for a permit online at or at the Permits office located a 2 N Main St, Temple, TX 76501. Please note: a parklet program permit is not required for special events.

A $50 permit fee is paid during the application process.

Once approved you will receive your parklet permit by email.

When you submit for a permit, the following will be needed as digital uploads

  1. A dimensioned site plan is required to be uploaded with the application (an aerial or Google satellite photo can work) showing all proposed locations of food truck or seating in the city Right of Way (sidewalk or street) and may not create a hazardous condition
  2. Proper clearances for any items to be placed from the building or sidewalk and must be anchored. Location and type of barriers also required . Any structural items permanently affixed must obtain a Street Use license.
  3. Provide proof of insurance, both general liability and alcohol service (if applicable)
  4. Written agreement with city licensed mobile food unit operator to sell adjacent to the restaurant or bar with only one MFU to operate on location at any given time.
  5. MFUs may not locate at a bar or restaurant location if another existing restaurant also sells the same type of food product within 100 feet.
  6. If selling alcoholic beverages, proper authorizations from TABC is required.

For the latest Parklet Program Ordinance, it is available here:  Parklet Program Ordinance

For an overview presentation, please see this link: Parklet Program Workshop Presentation

For more information regarding the steps of obtaining a Parklet Program permit and additional City of Temple Code of Ordinance requirements, please call 254-298-5640.