OverviewThe City Attorney's Office advises officials and employees of the City regarding municipal legal matters. In addition, this office drafts and reviews ordinances, resolutions, policies, and contracts prior to consideration by the City Council to ensure compliance with state, federal, and local laws; manages claims; initiates and defends lawsuits; and prosecutes cases filed in municipal court.
The City Attorney's Office cannot provide legal advice to citizens on private legal matters.
- Assist the City Council, City Manager, and all department heads to further the City's mission and values through sound legal advice and comprehensive regulations.
- Process claims on behalf of the City.
- Respond to Public Information Act requests.
- Review and update the City’s Code of Ordinances.
- Acquire rights-of-way and easements required to construct various City projects.