Mother Neff State Park is the first official state park in Texas. It is
named for Mrs. Isabella Eleanor (Mother) Neff who donated six acres of
land along the Leon River in 1916 which became the first park site. Her
son was Texas Governor Pat M. Neff, who served as Governor from 1921 -
After the death of his mother in 1921, Governor Neff created the Mother Neff Memorial Park which later became the nucleus of the Texas State Park System. The park, located west of Moody, now contains 259 acres in Coryell County. The additional land was deeded to the state in 1934 by private owners; Governor Neff deeded 250 acres and Mr. Frank Smith deeded 3 acres.
The park was opened to the public in 1937. In the 1930's, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) restored the park to its historical setting. An excavation in 1935 unearthed three Indian graves and many artifacts. In prerecorded history, this area was occupied by several groups of Native Americans, including some groups probably related to the Tonkawas. Heavily wooded, the park is ideal for camping, hiking, picnicking, and fishing.
The main activities are camping, hiking, picnicking, fishing from the river bank, and wildlife observation. The park provides a junior ranger program that allows children from ages 4-12 to earn a special badge & certificate. For interested hikers a tree guide is available at the park headquarters which provides a self guided tour along the lost trail. Check the Calendar of Events for this park
Campsites with water and electricity
Campsites with water nearby
A group primitive area
A group of wooden picnic pavilions and a group (rock) picnic pavilion that are often used for reunions, church group gatherings, and weddings
A heated and air-conditioned recreation hall with kitchen facilities